Call Us Today 931-250-8585


You Can Just Say No: Declining to Act as an Agent Under a Power of Attorney

Posted by Nina Whitehurst | Jun 29, 2022 | 0 Comments

Acting as an agent under a power of attorney is a big responsibility and it isn't something everyone can take on. It is possible to resign or refuse the position.

There are two main types of powers of attorney – financial and medical. As the agent under a power of attorney, you act in place of the “principal” – the person executing the power of attorney -- for financial or medical purposes when and if that person ever becomes incapacitated. This can be a big job, depending on the person you are representing. 

With a financial power of attorney, you are responsible for taking whatever investment and spending measures the principal would take himself or herself. Unless limitations have been placed in the power of attorney document itself, you can open bank accounts, withdraw funds from bank accounts, trade stock, pay bills, and cash checks. In addition, you need to keep good records of all your dealings. 

With a medical power of attorney, you must step in and make medical decisions for the principal that you believe the principal would have wanted. For example, you may have to make decisions about whether to start or stop a particular treatment, which doctors or specialists to choose, or whether to continue or stop life support. 

While an agent under a power of attorney isn't personally liable for the principal's bills, it is still a huge responsibility that takes time and effort. Before agreeing to be an agent under a power of attorney, consider whether you are able to devote the time and energy to the job and whether you can emotionally handle making the decisions. In addition, think about if there are family issues, such as constant disagreements among siblings, that would make serving difficult. 

If you do not want to serve as an agent under a power of attorney, the best thing to do is have an honest discussion with the person executing the power of attorney. You can simply tell them that you are not the best person to act in this role. If you have already been appointed and you decide you want to resign, the power of attorney document may specify the steps necessary. If these steps aren't spelled out, the best thing to do is write a letter tendering your resignation, and send it via certified mail to the person who executed the power of attorney and any co- or successor agents.

If the person who executed the power of attorney is incapacitated already, it is a little more complicated. Ideally, the power of attorney document has named successor agents. In that case, you can refuse the job and the successor agent can take over. If there are no successor agents, a guardian or conservator may need to be appointed for the principal. An interested party -- another family member or friend -- could petition the court for guardianship or conservatorship or if no one is available to take on the job, the principal may become a ward of the state. 

If you are named as agent under a power of attorney and want to refuse or resign, we can help you find the best way to do that. 


About the Author

Nina Whitehurst

Attorney at Law Nina has been practicing law for over 30 years in the areas of estate planning, real estate and business law She is currently licensed in Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Oregon and Tennessee. Her Martindale-Hubbell attorney rating is the highest achievable: 5 stars in peer...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Areas We Serve

Aenean lacinia bibendum nulla sed consectetur. Donec sed odio dui. Maecenas sed diam eget risus varius blandit sit amet non magna. Nulla vitae elit libero, a pharetra augue. Curabitur blandit tempus porttitor. Morbi leo risus, porta ac consectetur ac, vestibulum at eros. Cras justo odio, dapibus ac facilisis in, egestas.