Call Us Today 931-250-8585


Going Off to College? Documents are Helpful

Posted by Nina Whitehurst | Aug 24, 2018 | 0 Comments

There are tools in an estate plan that a college student may need and are also beneficial to you.

If your child is heading off to college you have prepared them already with background education and the ability to live away from home. However, are they prepared with the documents that an adult needs? They should be, according to the Monterey Herald in “Liza Horvath, Senior Advocate: Off to College.”

When college students go to off to a world of dorm living, classes and increased independence, many are on their own for the first time. If they are 18 or older, they are legally considered adults. If they become sick or injured while away, the rules of HIPAA, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, prohibit anyone from speaking with a doctor, gaining access to medical records or being informed of their status–even their own parents!

If your college admissions package did not include an Advance Health Care Directive and a HIPAA release form giving you permission to speak on behalf of your student, speak to doctors and to be part of any medical decisions. Your estate planning attorney will be able to draft those documents for you.

Make sure that your college-bound student also has a list of who they should contact in an emergency, including cell, home and work numbers and email addresses. This list should include their primary treating physician and a history of their immunizations, chronic conditions, medications and  other relevant medical issues.

This information can be stored in the cloud or on their phones.  However, if the phone is stolen or lost, so is a lot of sensitive data. Write it down on an old-fashioned piece of paper and keep a hard copy at home and one on your own computer, so it can be easily sent if necessary.

You should also consider having a power of attorney for finances and a directive to the college, so information on your student can be released to you. This will allow you to see the academic records and act on your child's behalf on any legal matters.

If you have adult children, even those who graduated long ago, you may also to wish to have some of these documents prepared.  

ResourceMonterey Herald (July 28, 2018) “Liza Horvath, Senior Advocate: Off to College”

About the Author

Nina Whitehurst

Attorney at Law Nina has been practicing law for over 30 years in the areas of estate planning, real estate and business law She is currently licensed in Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Oregon and Tennessee. Her Martindale-Hubbell attorney rating is the highest achievable: 5 stars in peer...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Areas We Serve

Aenean lacinia bibendum nulla sed consectetur. Donec sed odio dui. Maecenas sed diam eget risus varius blandit sit amet non magna. Nulla vitae elit libero, a pharetra augue. Curabitur blandit tempus porttitor. Morbi leo risus, porta ac consectetur ac, vestibulum at eros. Cras justo odio, dapibus ac facilisis in, egestas.