Call Us Today 931-250-8585


Leaving Assets to Minors Is Different than Adults

Posted by Nina Whitehurst | Mar 01, 2018 | 0 Comments

Protecting assets for your minor heirs can be a challenge.

If you plan on leaving assets to minors, you can leave it to the courts to decide on the best person to handle the funds or you can do it yourself through an estate plan, according to the Times Herald-Record in, "Proper legal planning for minor beneficiaries."

The best option may be to create a trust and to fund the trust with the assets you would like to leave for the minors. You can appoint a trustee of your own choosing to administer the assets for the benefit of the minors. You also can leave instructions about how and when the assets are to be distributed for the children. That does not have to be the moment they reach the age of majority.

An estate planning attorney can advise you on creating an estate plan that fits your unique circumstances and may include leaving assets to minor children.

Reference: Times Herald-Record (Feb. 1, 2018) "Proper legal planning for minor beneficiaries."

About the Author

Nina Whitehurst

Attorney at Law Nina has been practicing law for over 30 years in the areas of estate planning, real estate and business law She is currently licensed in Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Oregon and Tennessee. Her Martindale-Hubbell attorney rating is the highest achievable: 5 stars in peer...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Areas We Serve

Aenean lacinia bibendum nulla sed consectetur. Donec sed odio dui. Maecenas sed diam eget risus varius blandit sit amet non magna. Nulla vitae elit libero, a pharetra augue. Curabitur blandit tempus porttitor. Morbi leo risus, porta ac consectetur ac, vestibulum at eros. Cras justo odio, dapibus ac facilisis in, egestas.