With an Inherited IRA, you need to take annual distributions no matter what age you are when you open the account.
Inherited IRA distribution rules:
- Generally, you must take distributions during your lifetime or within five years after the original account holder passed away.
- With an Inherited Traditional IRA, you'll pay taxes on any distributions you take.
- Rollover, SEP, and SIMPLE IRAs become Inherited Traditional IRAs.
- With an Inherited Roth IRA, you don't pay taxes on distributions.
- To evaluate the potential impact an inheritance might have on your overall tax situations, we recommend you also consult your tax advisor.
This website explains the rules in greater detail and in a user-friendly way: